Date:      Wed, 14 May 2008 13:14:12 -0500
From:      Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
To:        Aaron Holmes <aaron@aaronholmes.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SRCSAS144e raid controller

At 03:44 PM 5/13/2008, Aaron Holmes wrote:
>Is the Intel SRCSAS144e RAID controller supported by FreeBSD? Or are there
>any "hacks" to get it working?
>A quick google didn't reveal very much.

It depends on what support you need.  I've not used this exact controller
but have used similar older models from intel.  The intel controllers offer
a couple interfaces, one a BIOS level interface, and a web based one as
well.  You can usually use the BIOS interface and create an array, and set
it up that way.  The support in any OS depends on the level of support for
the array, some OS's see the raid controller and array, others see it as
just a large disk.

If the OS support is limited you may just want to make a redundant array
(RAID 10)  that includes hot spares so little human intervention is
required except to replace a failed drive.  If this is the case, you will
see any RAID issues (and alarms) when the system boots, unless the web
console works as well.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.