Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2006 09:09:34 -0500
From:      "Tamouh H." <hakmi@rogers.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: how does a system come up if you disable background fsck ?

>=20
> Tamouh H. wrote:
>=20
> >Micah, Kris:
> >
> >You guys are hilarious, where can I find ppl like you ?=20
> >
> >Of course I'm using a backup power, but there are 101=20
> reasons for FreeBSD to reboot by itself and when that=20
> happens, 30 minutes downtime is 30 minutes of wasted time.
> > =20
> >
> Since you're *so* smart, perhaps you could help us stupid=20
> people by listing those 101 reasons?  In ten years of FreeBSD=20
> I've never had a system reboot except through power failure=20
> or operator action.  Hardware failure can do it too, of=20
> course, and if your system is so critical, where's its backup system?
>=20
> If your system is panicking, then why aren't you doing=20
> something to isolate the problem and help fix it?  Assuming=20
> that there is a problem with the *system*.
>=20
> --Alex
>=20
> PS You can find plenty of people like Kris and Micah right here on
> freebsd-questions: people giving their own time to actually=20
> help people sort out their problems.  Haven't seen you doing that.
>=20

Probably your whole 10 YRS of working on FreeBSD was on a P-II or AMD K6 =
running a workstation in your basement, or who knows where.

I contribute to this group and many other places as much as I can with =
my experience and if you should check the archives you'll find my name =
pop-up there many times. I also do other types of contributions to the =
FreeBSD foundation and other organizations that utilize FreeBSD.

I didn't complain about the system reboots (did I?), there is definitely =
a problem with the system rebooting, but that is my job to resolve it =
(whether being hardware or FreeBSD itself) and YES FreeBSD does have its =
issues *BIG TIME* too.=20

My post was regarding the whole concept of doing background fsck or =
foreground fsck if they both cause the machine not to be usable for the =
duration of the fsck.

I do appreciate a lot of people who take the time to address questions =
on these mailings and the many more who post to various forums and =
message boards.

However, I don't appreciate sarcasm and useless remarks especially if =
they were not intended to be humorous anyway.

Anyhow thanks for the help and great support !

Tamouh