Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2000 20:00:14 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Gail M. Pickett" <gmpicket@icx.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG, dkelly@hiwaay.net
Subject:   Re: Macintosh access to FreeBSD over TCP/IP ??

"Gail M. Pickett" writes:
> > I second Martin Welk`s message and suggest you take a look at Netatalk.
>
> I installed both Netatalk packages, and they/it doesn't work.  I read
> somewhere, later, that they won't work if you install both.  Ok.  I tried
> to pkg_delete both and the (FreeBSD 3.3-Release) machine refused.  Hmmm...
> Now what?

Details. *How* did it refuse. Did it *really* refuse? Pkg_delete will
report that it can't delete some directories, but it still deletes
everything else. Configuration files for applications such as NetAtalk
and Apache are not deleted.

Also the fact you installed both netatalk versions caused one to
overwrite the other's config stuff and binaries. Delete one and the
next has fits because the files it needed are gone also too.

Look in /var/db/pkg/ to see if you still have any netatalk stuff laying
around. If so, "cd /var/db/pkg; pkg_delete -f netatalk*" should force a
cleanup.

> > After compiling in NETATALK support in the kernel (a breeze)
>
> Isn't netatalk support part of the generic kernel?

% cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/
% cat CVS/Tag
TRELENG_4
% grep NETATALK *
LINT:options    NETATALK                #Appletalk communications protocols
LINT:options    NETATALKDEBUG
%

Conclusion: Netatalk is only in the LINT kernel.

> I spent a day on it, and it doesn't run.  I can successfully "ping" the
> Macintosh from the FreeBSD box, but the Mac cannot see/ping the FreeBSD box.

If you don't have netatalk in your kernel then you won't get it to run.
If you haven't built a kernel then you don't have it and its no surprise
that it doesn't work. I think "netstat -i" will flood your terminal with
a whole bunch of appletalk stuff if you have the netatalk daemons
running and are registered on the local appletalk network.

> What files do I edit to setup 'shares'?

Look in /usr/local/etc/
AppleVolumes.default    atalkd.conf
AppleVolumes.system     papd.conf

> > I`ve put Macintosh documents and applications on the FreeBSD
> > machine and I`ve had no problems lauching and using them.

*I've* had trouble. The default port configuration still enables the
automatic Apple <CR> to Unix <LF> mapping. Needs to be turned off, IMHO.

AppleVolumes.system says:
# default translation -- note that CR <-> LF translation is done on all
# files of type TEXT.  The first line turns off translation for files of
# unknown type, the second turns this translation on.
.       BINA    UNIX
# .       TEXT    UNIX

The above doesn't really say what it might seem to say. CR/LF
translation still takes effect on files of type TEXT, no matter what you
do above. There are some Mac applications written by idiots using
prewritten libraries which writes binary to a new file created as TEXT
then changes the type after writting. The fix is to use the netatalk
port, not the package, like this:

# cd /usr/ports/net/netatalk 		(whichever version you wish)
# make patch
# pushd	.				(save our current "cd")
# cd work/netat*/etc/afpd

Edit the Makefile in the afpd directory. Search for -DCRLF and remove it.

CFLAGS= ${DEFS} ${AFSDEFS} ${KRBDEFS} ${OPTOPTS} ${INCPATH} \
        -DAPPLCNAME -DCRLF # -DDOWNCASE
                    ^^^^^^ you can move the # to the left of -DCRLF

# popd			(back to /usr/ports/net/netatalk*)
# make install
# make clean		(cleans up the mess made in /usr/ports)

Now you might want to edit /usr/local/etc/rc.d/netatalk.sh. I don't
like to start the papd because I don't have need of if for printing.
Its also time to look at the other files in /usr/local/etc/:
	AppleVolumes.system.dist
	AppleVolumes.default.dist
	AppleVolumes.system
	AppleVolumes.default
	afpd.conf
	atalkd.conf
The two *.dist files are unedited netatalk distribution files while the
non-dist versions of the same are the porter's idea.

If you are bothered by line termination problems on the Mac then
download the free BBEdit-Lite editor and quit fussing. It automatically
adapts. And can save to Mac, Unix, or DOS, line termination styles.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net