Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2000 00:13:41 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Finding programmers manuals for NICs

On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 16:07:29 +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> I'm trying to adapt a number of NIC drivers to support 802.1q VLANs,
> but I'm having problems locating the relevant programming information.
> I'm particularly interested in the following:

[ ... ]

> Card: Intel EtherPower Pro/100+  Chip: 82559
> 	I've found the datasheet at developer.intel.com.  It says
> 	"set the Long Receive OK bit in the Configuration command
> 	(described in the 10/100 Mbit Family Software Developer's
> 	Manual)".  Unfortunately, I can't find any trace of that
> 	manual.  There is a VLAN patch at
> 	http://www.euitt.upm.es/~pjlobo/fxp-mtu-patch-4.x but it
> 	just saves the bad frames, which is different to the
> 	comment in the datasheet.

At least for that one, you won't find a developer's manual without an NDA.

I looked around on Intel's web site to find the right information on the
8255x chips when I was trying to figure out how to enable flow control on
them.  A number of the documents they have are close to what you'd need,
but not quite there.

I ended up getting the information from the Linux driver, and David
Greenman told me that you can't get info on that chip without an NDA.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org