Date:      Thu, 8 May 1997 23:50:56 +0200
From:      Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@obiwan.psinet.net.au>
Cc:        Ruslan Shevchenko <rssh@cki.ipri.kiev.ua>, Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>, Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Antispam sendmail.cf modifications..

Adrian Chadd shared with us:

> > > Dunno...I'm skeptical of GUIs for system configuration.  Just seems
> > > that there's no way they could ever be flexible enough to handle everyting.
> >   Thay must be extensability.
> >
> > In principle, GUI tools is not such bad, it can be usefull.
>
> GUI tools are good for most things, except for very low-level stuff or
> doing evil tweaky things to configurations. :)
>
> However, I like GUIs because it makes the *end user* feel more comfortable
> configuring something. Sysadmins and clued people of a similar nature are
> the edit-config-file-type, however I thought FreeBSD was also aimed at the
> average joe running Windows :)

My HFL 0.02:

What makes GUI's nice is that they provide information in a consistent
way. They divide the information in logical chunks and you don't
need to know the format of each (text) config file. (For instance,
I don't know the format of /etc/inetd.conf; I'm more of a programmer
than a sysadmin.)

I've been hanging around Irix (eek, System V) and NT lately and I
must say that I'm charmed by the easiness that you can accomplish
certain tasks with. For instance, NT has a service manager with
which you can start/stop/pause services on all machines that you
have access to, with a simple click of the mouse.

The downside is, that when something _does_ go wrong, you're
completely lost in the woods. My NT server will not close a thread
concerning windows when you shut down and I really don't know why
or how to fix it.

The problem with Unix systems and GUI's, is that it's configuration
is textually oriented. You have plenty of opportunity to put in
special configurations, exceptions, etcetera in such a file. It's
very hard to build a GUI that supports all of that.

Perhaps the solution would be to accomodate the config files to
the GUI (like Windows with it's registry with an extendible key/value
pairs structure) instead of the other way around. But that implies
rewriting most of your operating system, so I don't think that is
an option.

- Peter