Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 2010 02:42:44 -0500
From:      Joshua Isom <jrisom@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mail and DNS setup

On 8/19/2010 8:06 PM, RW wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 17:44:46 -0500
> Depo Catcher<depocatcher@gmail.com>  wrote:
>

>> getmail + qmail + procmail replacement + courier-imap = win?
>
> Why use an mta at all? getmail was specifically designed to avoid that.
>
> You can just do something like:
>
> getmail ->  procmail ->  whatever
>
> getmail ->  dovecot-deliver+sieve plugin

I use getmail, dovecot, and postfix.  I have getmail and postfix
forwarding to dovecot with sieve, and a root .forward file for receiving
server logs and filtering to a directory of their own.  I haven't
integrated dspam and the dovecot-antispam plugin in yet but will.
Postfix doesn't handle anything other than local mail, and even then
only logs.

The main trouble I had was getting the local storage layout the way *I*
wanted instead of defaults, `mail_location =
maildir:/var/mail/%u:LAYOUT=fs:INBOX=/var/mail/%u`.  I was also able to
import and filter all of my Mail.app 1.3 mail via a simple perl script I
wrote using /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver.  With the
getmail/refilter trick, fixing sieve problems can be easy and has it
almost all server side.