Date:      Wed, 04 Sep 2013 21:14:32 +0200
From:      Bengt Ahlgren <bengta@sics.se>
To:        Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>, freebsd-acpi <freebsd-acpi@FreeBSD.org>, Laura Marie Feeney <lmfeeney@sics.se>, Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>, "Sergey A. Osokin" <osa@FreeBSD.org>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jean-S=E9bastien_P=E9dron?= <dumbbell@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: suspend/resume on Lenovo X1 (regression from reports on wiki)

Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org> writes:

> On 2013-09-04 09:29:35 -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
>>>
>>> What happens?  Does it panic, hang, or just no backlight?
>>
>> Just no backlight.  It resumes fine and if I do it in multiuser I
>> can ssh in, etc.  It's just the backlight that doesn't resume.  I
>> was hopeful dpms.ko would fix that, but it didn't. :(
>
> Ah, that's a well-known problem and we cannot fix it without help of
> machine-specific code, e.g., drm1/drm2.  Actually, both acpi_video and
> dpms try to restore video settings but nothing worked for Intel GPUs +
> LVDS + LCD panel AFAIK.
>
>> I think i915drm has code to specifically turn on the backlight as
>> I get some weird error message in the kernel console about a
>> timeout trying to turn the panel off during suspend when I'm in X.
> So, I guess it has an ordering issue.  If my memory serves, drm1 was
> okay with vesa, however.  I *think* it accidentally worked because of
> automatic VT-switching, which is still broken for KMS.

Yes, perhaps, but there is also the sysctl hw.acpi.reset_video which I
have enabled on my older hardware (TP X40 running 8.3-REL and an old
Xorg server) for it to work properly.  (I however have some faint memory
that reset_video might a no-op these days, or?)  In this old mail
regarding reset_video, there is a thought that it could be good with
"more" reinitialisation:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-acpi/2006-July/002959.html

I however have one datapoint that I think contradicts John's thought.
This is on a X201 with stable/9 and no options VESA.  I first just
booted up and stayed in text console, suspended and resumed.  No
backlight, of course, and also no content on the LCD, it is completely
black.  Then, I started Xorg with KMS.  Still no backlight, but you can
see that the LCD is driven with the desired content, which is one step
forward.  Finally, I suspended and resumed, but no difference, the
backlight is still off.  Xorg/KMS didn't manage to turn the backlight
on, so the text console suspend/resume cycle managed to persistently
turn the backlight off.

One more thing, the kernel logs this at resume directly after the
devices are powered on (transition to D0), but I have no idea whether it
is relevant:

Sep  2 19:57:21 bit kernel: error: [drm:pid1904:intel_lvds_enable] *ERROR* timed out waiting for panel to power off

Bengt