Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 2010 01:33:44 +0100
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: setting ccache path

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 22:58:37 +0100
Chris Whitehouse <cwhiteh@onetel.com> wrote:

I tested by timing
> make(1) in a port but I can see it is working anyway
> because /root/.ccache gets created and populated.

You probably want to move that unless  /root/ is on a big partition.

> Am I failing to follow ccache-howto-freebsd.txt or is it telling me
> something wrong and I should be adding /usr/local/libexec/ccache to
> roots path in .cshrc and .profile.?

Whatever works. I seem to have commented-out the path in  .cshrc.

> Actually I think a better solution would be to set CCACHE_PATH to
> /usr/local/libexec/ccache

IIRC  CCACHE_PATH tells ccache where to look for compilers.

> to avoid the shell looking there first for  _every_ command
> invocation,

csh wouldn't anyway, that's why we have to type rehash

BTW I would suggest you also set  CCACHE_HASH_COMPILER. It's a poorly
documented FreeBSD extension intended to make world builds more
cachable. I prefer to set it unconditionally. If you don't then
building world, even a point release, invalidates the cache of port
builds.