Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2006 22:01:15 -0500
From:      "Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd@kiwi-computer.com>
To:        Hans Nieser <h.nieser@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New port: pvrxxx for Hauppauge PVR150/500

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 03:11:58AM +0200, Hans Nieser wrote:

> > video after it's saved.  I'm actually happy that it's about 1MB/s without
> > artifacts!
>
> Hmm, now that I think about it, you're right. I just wasn't quite prepared
> for the reality of it I guess :)

Compared to the bandwidth used by my bt848 card (raw video, not MPEG2), I'm
excited!  I now can record two shows, saving over NFS, and watching a DVD
on the same Athlon XP2400+.  Usleep showed me a screen show of him
recording 5 channels and watching 2.  He made me very jealous =)  Stupid
satellite tv!

> What I'd like to do is create some kind of script to automatically record
> shows at given times and either download or stream them directly from the
> machine. My wifi network here at home is kind of crappy so I guess I'd
> have to reencode them (with higher compression). Or maybe just stream
> using VLC and have it reencode on the fly.

I actually wrote a quick C program which records off the cxm device after
passing some options to pvr250-setchannel.  It's basically a glorified
cat(1) which uses SIGALRM to stop recording after a certain time.  My next
step is to finish my Atmel microcontroller box which will send IR and UHF
signals to my sat. tv box to change the channels prior to recording.  If
you want a copy of my current code, let me know.

> Anyway, thanks for your reprocessing suggestions!

No problem.  Glad it works!

-- Rick C. Petty