Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 1998 07:13:06 -0600
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@gaffaneys.com>
To:        Steve Grandi <grandi@noao.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I need a strategy for making my STABLE installation stable

On Mon, Feb 16, 1998 at 12:41:10PM -0700, Steve Grandi wrote:
> The hardware:  PentiumPro-200 (Venus MotherBoard), 128 MB of RAM, Adaptec
> 2940 Ultra-Wide SCSI controller, two Seagate ST32155W 2GB disks, a
> Micropolis 3391WS 9GB disk, Plextor SCSI CD-ROM, Intel EtherExpress Pro
  ^^^^^^^^^^ I have a SCSI chain that works great (at Ultra speeds)
with just about every device I can plug into it (async, 200ns, 100ns,
50ns speeds), except my solitary Micropolis disk.  It negotiates ultra
speeds, but it causes much grief when there is much activity on the bus.

The symptoms I noticed started with the kernel refusing to communicate
with anything in /dev (I usually run X, which continued to work... at
least long enough to see what was happening), followed by an optional
spew of many messages something like 'ncr: device timed out...' in
xconsole.  At this point, opening windows for programs already in the
cache that also don't use anything from /dev still worked.  As soon as
I touched anything that also touched the disk or anything in /dev, the
machine completely locked up.

Moving said Micropolis disk to a fast-scsi controller fixed the problem.

--
Zach Heilig -- zach@gaffaneys.com