Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 2009 13:08:21 -0500
From:      Andrew Gould <andrewlylegould@gmail.com>
To:        weif@weif.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnucash 2.2.7_2 after upgrade to Firefox 3.0.9

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Keith Seyffarth <weif@weif.net> wrote:

> Is anyone else having issues wit Gnucash 2.2.7 crashing when you try
> to open an account after portupgrading Firefox in response to security
> audit reports from about a week ago?
>
> (that's the only change I can think of that seems to coincide with the
> change in behavior; and yes, I did look through UPDATING for known
> issues first...)
>
> Gnucash will launch just fine, but when I try to open an account it
> crashes. Running Gnucash in debug mode only reports that there was a
> segmentation fault and core was dumped.
>
> Looking through the Gnucash FAQ on the Gnucash site, I saw that there
> was an issue similar to this on Windows, and their recommended fix was
> to remove ~/.gconf, ~/.gconfd, ~/gnome2, and ~/gnucash. Though these
> instructions were for windows, I tried moving those files to see if
> that made a difference, but it didn't.
>
> I also tried pkg_deleting gnucash and then portinstalling it again, as
> well as removing the ~/gnucash directory, or removing all the various
> .log files and .xac files from the ~/gnucash directory, but I continue
> to have the same behavior; gnucash will open, but trying to open an
> account in gnucash (either by clicking the "Open" button or by double
> clicking the account name) gets gnucash to dump core.
>
> I have also downloaded the source tarball for gnucash 2.2.9 from
> sourceforge, but encounter an issue running ./configure on that, as it
> is not finding gettext (which I appear to have installed at
> /usr/local/bin/gettext).
>
> Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions?
>
> Keith S.
>  <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>

If you think the problem is related to upgrading Firefox, try pkg_deleting
Firefox.

Also, I think portupgrade has an option where it will list all of the
applications that will be affected by an upgrade without actually doing the
upgrade (see 'man portupgrade').  Try this:

1. Get a list of applications that would be affected by portupgrading
firefox and its dependencies (list A).
2. Then get a list of applications that would be affected by portupgrading
gnucash and its dependencies (list B).
3. Your problem may be in a dependency that is on both list A and list B.

Good luck,

Andrew