Date:      Sat, 09 Oct 1999 21:45:39 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        mranner@netway.at
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG, "Josef L. Karthauser" <joe@pavilion.net>
Subject:   Re: cause 63 - problem with Fritz! PCI and i4b-0.83

> Nearly every day (20h - 30h uptime) I have the following
> problem with i4b-0.83 under FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE:
>
> isdnd in fullscreen mode says:
>
> cause 63: Service or option not available
>
> for each dial out.
>
> - I use Brians ppp with raw channel devices.
[.....]

There seems to be a fairly nasty problem with PPPoISDN, but as lots
of people haven't screamed about it, I can only assume that there's
something funny going on... perhaps with the exchange.

From what I can tell, for both myself and Joe Karthauser (cc'd) i4b
will never clear a call correctly.  This fact is hidden under normal
circumstances when ppp agrees with the peer that the link is coming
down - the peer clears the call.  I'm fairly sure that this is a
hardware thing.

The easiest way to reproduce the problem is to bring up both channels
with MP ppp and then ``down'' one of them.  From then on, you'll get
a ``cause 34'' when trying to bring up the second link, meaning that
the exchange says there's no circuit.  When this happens you can
prove that the second circuit is still actually active by examining
the state of the peer (it still thinks both links are up).  This is
fairly obvious with a ping from the local side - every second packet
is lost.

I've had some nasty problems on my test box over the last few weeks
and have been suffering multiple crashes per day, so I haven't been
able to work at this.  The box has been up for several hours now -
with all four disks reformatted, a complete memory replacement and
some adjusted memory timings..... it seems to be stable at last.

My next step is to set up a local circuit (calling myself) to see
if the line gets jammed ``up'' even after a ``close'' (agreed link
closure).

However, in both my case and Joes, either restarting isdnd (kill and
restart rather than a HUP) or pulling the cable out of the wall will
clear all calls - so maybe our problems are different !

Anyway, don't feel alone... there's something spooky happening !

Cheers.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>