Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 2010 11:08:14 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: version/revision control software for things mostly not source

--RnlQjJ0d97Da+TV1

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 06:37:10PM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>=20
> I'd recommend subversion for this -- configure it using HTTPS and with
> Apache's basic auth for access control.  Use ViewVC for exploting your
> repos via the web -- if you take care to set appopriate MIME types as
> properties, then your browser should open files in the appropriate
> applications automatically. [Verb. Sap. ViewVC looks pretty ugly in the
> default view, but set template_dir=3Dtemplates-contrib/viewsvn/templates
> in viewvc.conf for a much better result]

Actually, on FreeBSD, I think it's a lot easier to get things going just
using the command line client -- and you can explore the local copy of
the repository using tools on the local machine just fine.  I don't think
a bunch of extra tools like a Webserver are necessarily the best option
for a single user.  Your mileage may vary, of course.

>=20
> Subversion is a big and complex beast, but the documentation is
> excellent.  There's a whole book you can download here:

It isn't terribly complex to set up using just the command line
interface, though, if that's an acceptable interface for the user in
question.  Once the user gets used to it, it's quite simple to use, too.

If all the bells and whistles you suggested are desired, though, it does
get to be a bit more to manage.

>=20
> For access from Windows, try TortoiseSVN.

Luckily, TortoiseSVN is pretty easy to set up and use on MS Windows.

--=20

--RnlQjJ0d97Da+TV1

--RnlQjJ0d97Da+TV1--