Date:      Thu, 04 Feb 2010 22:43:34 -0500
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@telenix.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendation

Charlie Kester wrote:
> On Wed 03 Feb 2010 at 11:29:14 PST Chuck Robey wrote:
>>
>> I asked for all opinions, but I need to answer here before my thread gets
>> hijacked.  I DON'T WANT GUI-less operation, I don't want random
>> playback.  I
>> really do appreciate your response, but what I'm after is the best
>> possible mp3
>> player GUI for managing the creation and manipulation of playlist
>> driven playback.
>>
>> The only possible reason I have for replying  here is to avoid getting
>> all
>> thouse responses from folks who don't like GUIs.  Hell, I'm usually in
>> that
>> camp, but not this time.  The suggestion I got for musicpd is a player
>> with lots
>> of hooks into GUIs (according to the email) but my playback already works
>> excellently, what I'm after is the GUI, not the server.
>>
>> I've had some great suggestions so far.  I think I'll go try amarok
>> first, and maybe rhythmbox next.  You folks are REALLY helpful,
>> thanks!!
>
> Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread!
> Amarok is very popular and is a good choice, despite what someone said
> about the latest version having a case of featuritis.  The older 1.4
> version from ports is quite good.  A little heavier in resource usage
> than rhythmbox or exaile, but it's a solid implementation with no
> missing features.
> It handles my favorite podcasts correctly too, so there's no need to
> pair it with PenguinTV.  And it includes an equalizer, something I've
> sorely missed in Rhythmbox and Exaile.
> I had some m3u playlists with bad path info for some of the tracks.  Wih
> amarok, I was able to drag the track from my "Collection" and drop it in
> the imported playlist.  The m3u file was automatically updated with the
> correct info.  Now that's cool!

Now that's helpful, thanks!

Geeze, I can't count the number of times I've gone back, realized I was being
sarcastic, trimmed that out, and avoided gross embarrassment when it's been
subsequently proved that *I* was wrong.  This time, I came too close to accusing
you of hijacking ... but my rereading rule saved my ass again.  I was more
trying to make sure it *didn't* happen, and *not* saying you did it, which (as a
matter of fact) you didn't.

I tried both rhythmbox and quodlibet, they both failed to build, and I didn't
get a chance to see what the real problem is yet.  Audacious comes next, then
(maybe, if audacious fails) amarok.  I'm going to keep your name around & about,
you certainly know more than I about music.