Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 08:33:06 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Martti Kuparinen <martti@research.zopps.fi>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lockups: should I go back to 2.2.8

In message <Pine.BSF.4.10.9906141004040.96060-100000@ws125.research.
zopps.fi>,
Martti Kuparinen writes:
> While running tripwire in our server, the system locked up (well,
> in fact the load went up to 600+ and the whole system became unusable,
> so it was not a panic or dead-lock). The operating system is 3.2-STABLE
> and "make world" was performed last friday. The host is NFS server
> with small average load.
>
> The question is: if I need a rock-solid system as it is our main
> server for 20 people, should I downgrade to 2.2.8-STABLE?
>
> I think I can't afford to wait for the VM thing to be fixed, but I
> don't know if 228-S has similar symptoms, i.e. do I win something by
> going back to 228-S?

I had system hangs, until 1.23.2.3 of kern_lock.c was committed.
Since then, I've had what appeared to be a hang that became a panic
after waiting 19 minutes.  See PR 11993 (panic: getnewbuf:
inconsistent EMPTY queue, qindex=0).  This has only occurred once,
on June 2.

Before anyone can debug this we will need some additional
information like a description of you hardware, uname -a output,
dmesg output, a copy of your kernel config file, and a bactrace
listing from your vmcore dump.  Once you have the required
information, the best way to report bugs of this kind is through
send-pr(1).  You may still wish to post to this list to provide the
rest of us with some kind of heads-up notification and maybe flush
out comments about similar experiences into the open.

Best of luck.

Open Systems Group          Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Province of BC