Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 21:00:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        andy@xecu.net (Andy Dills)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with ifconfig aliases

Andy Dills wrote,

> However, whenever I try to do this on reseller3, I get:
>
> reseller3# ifconfig ep0 inet 208.244.234.134 netmask 255.255.255.248 alias
> ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists
>
> It then shows up in the ifconfig -a:
> ep0: flags=8847<UP,BROADCAST,DEBUG,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         inet 208.244.234.132 netmask 0xfffffff8 broadcast 208.244.234.135
>         inet 208.244.234.134 netmask 0xfffffff8 broadcast 208.244.234.135
>         ether 00:20:af:1b:0c:97
>
> However, the ip address is unpingable or unreachable in any way. This is
> not the case with reseller2, which is running the same release (as shown
> above) and is using the same type of ethernet card.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can correct or debug this?

I believe the problem lies in the fact you are putting both addresses
on the same LAN. Could you also send the output of 'netstat -rn' to
verify this? What do pings and traceroutes return? When I set my own
address to another on my LAN, I get the same error message and a
messed up routing table. Why are you aliasing two addresses on the
same LAN? I am not aware of a really good reason to do that.