Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 12:59:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with Sendmail/DNS

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Dan Busarow wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Dave Babler wrote:
> > records currently look like:
> >
> > 	orionsys.com.	IN	MX	10 orionsys.com.
> > 			IN	MX	20 other.host.com.
> > 			IN	MX	30 another.host.com.
>
> Make it
>
> orionsys.com.        IN MX 10 rigel.orionsys.com.
> rigel.orionsys.com.  IN MX 10 rigel.orionsys.com.
> altair.orionsys.com. IN MX 10 altair.orionsys.com.
                                ^^^^^^
But doesn't this make anything addressed to altair go directly -TO-
altair immediately? If I make it:

	orionsys.com.		IN MX 10 rigel.orionsys.com.
	rigel.orionsys.com.	IN MX 10 rigel.orionsys.com.
	altair.orionsys.com.	IN MX 10 rigel.orionsys.com.

---or rather in shorthand form:

			IN MX 10 rigel.orionsys.com.
	rigel		IN MX 10 rigel.orionsys.com.
	altair		IN MX 10 rigel.orionsys.com.

And make the changes below, I'm back to the DSN error from sendmail saying
Altair loops back to Rigel.

> On rigel, add somthing to your sendmail.cf that will hand mail
> off to altair after going through the spam filters.  In ruleset
> 98 you could add
>
> R$+ < @ rigel.$m . > 		$#local $: $1
> R$+ < @ $* $m . >			$#esmtp $@ altair.$m $: $1 < @ altair.$m . >
>
> $m is orionsys.com (unless something is seriously munged)
>
> and then mail for rigel stays local, mail to user@orionsys.com or
> user@anyothermachine.orionsys.com will be forwarded to altair.

This all seems to work fine in test mode with sendmail... Now if the DNS
MX records just worked!

Thanks!

-Dave