Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 2003 13:56:51 +0200
From:      Simon Barner <barner@in.tum.de>
To:        Stefan Malte Schumacher <s.schumacher@netcologne.de>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports

--PmA2V3Z32TCmWXqI

Hi,

> I have a question concerning the ports : For my Base System I have decided
> to stick with RELENG_5_1 as tag for my cvsup-supfile. Should there be any
> problems if I use "." for the Ports-Collection ? I know what is the
> difference between these tags when applied to the base system but what is
> the difference when applied to the ports ?

For the ports collection there is only one branch `.'. The ports support
both FreeBSD -stable and -current, but if you are lucky, even older
version might work (but they are not officially supported, and I
remember a problem with one of the pkg_* tools that did not support a
certian command line option).

> And do I understand correctly that the state of my ports collection deter=
mines which
> version of a program I get when I type "make" and not the development sta=
tus
> of the software ?

Yes, somebody needs to do the work and update the port to the lastest
version of the programm.

> (An Example would be : I have an old ports collection and built software
> version
> 0.13 from it. Now there is version 0.20 avaiable. Will "make" download and
> build 0.13 or 0.20 ?)     =20

It will build 0.13. You can try and update your ports collection and see
if somebody has already done that work, or you could try it yourself:

The porters' handbook might be a good start:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/

Regards,
 Simon

--PmA2V3Z32TCmWXqI