Date:      Fri, 4 Mar 2005 09:44:15 -0500
From:      Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@freebsd.org>
To:        Richard Todd <rmtodd@ichotolot.servalan.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recent major number changes on ptys break grantpt() and friends in lib/libc/stdlib/grantpt.c

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 07:39:09PM -0600, Richard Todd wrote:
> I managed to work around the immediate problem and stop my script from
> complaining by bludgeoning the p5-IO-Tty Makefile.PL with a blunt instrument
> to make it think this system didn't support grantpt() etc. (causing the module
> to fall back to other methods of dealing with ptys).  The proper fix for
> grantpt.c is less clear, though.  Changing it to figure the proper pty
> major number by stating a known pty node (say, /dev/ptyp0) would work, but from
> what I understand that's going to break when phk commits his forthcoming
> patch which will make the whole concept of major numbers go away. Any ideas?

Just remove all knowledge of device majors/minors from the module.  Why
should it care?  All it could possibly do with that information is
sanity-check that the device name (that it already knows how to generate)
isn't somehow replaced with something else.

  <> green@FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \