Date:      Mon, 06 Dec 2004 08:37:46 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Time for a Network Handbook?

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2004-12-05 13:28, Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com> wrote:
>
>>Nik Clayton wrote:
>>
>>>Anybody got any strong feelings about moving the existing "Network
>>>Communication" <part> out of the Handbook, and using it to seed a new
>>>FreeBSD Networking Handbook?
>>
>>What's the reasoning behind it?  I like it in the Handbook personally -
>>it fits with the rest of the book.
>

> It moves us one step closer to the holy grail of a "handbook collection"
> -- a collection of books that will cover more specific topics, i.e.:
>
> 	User's Handbook
> 	Admin's Handbook
> 	Programmer's Handbook
> 	System Programmer's Handbook
> 	Networking Handbook
>
> etc. :-)

Ok - I like that idea - but I'd like to say that some work needs to be
done on the "Documentation" page (http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html).
 From the main FreeBSD page, if you click on Documentation, it brings
you to this page.  I think the page isn't really too intuitive, and
should be reorganized to make it a bit simpler to navigate.  It's a
small thing, but I've watched two people glance right down the page and
miss ALL the handbooks already there, because it's under a heading
called "Books" and they are thinking that means something you can buy at
a bookstore.

Also - I think it might be handy to have the 'Handbook' link on the main
site then point to a 'Handbooks' page, that has all the handbooks on it,
with a short paragraph underneath each one describing it's intent or
contents.

Just some thoughts..

Eric

When in doubt, mumble; when in trouble, delegate; when in charge, ponder