Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 1996 23:55:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        browning <darkdog@www.netmcr.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Windows NT

On Fri, 30 Aug 1996, browning wrote:

> I am attempting to install FreeBSD on a 506MB slice of my 2GB disk. The
> first 402MB is the primary DOS partition, then the 506 MB I've set aside for
> FreeBSD. The remaining 1.1GB is my NT partition. NT has no problem seeing
> all three, labeling the 402MB C:, the 504MB F:, and the 1.1GB E:. D: is the
> CD-ROM.
>
> DOS, however, can see C: 402MB and then the extended partition of 1.6GB
> beginning with the logical drive D: 506MB. It doesn't know what to do with
> the rest of the partition, which is understandable.
>
> The FreeBSD installer sees the the first 63 sectors, labeled "unused". If
> i'm not mistaken, this is the DOS MBR. Then the first DOS partition, labeled
> "fat", in the next 822465 sectors. Then the "extended" partition in the next
> 3302208 sectors and an "unused" slice in the last 3024 sectors.
>
> The NT install was done for me.
>
> Is my problem the fact that I have a logical drive defined only under DOS in
> the one extended partition? Is there a way around removing NT and
> re-partitioning (please say no)? If not, should I load FreeBSD in the 506MB
> slice first and then re-install NT?

So the 'reserved FreeBSD space' is INSIDE the DOS Extended slice?  That
will not do.

This is ugly.  First, we have the big 1024 cylinder problem, which means
you can't boot operating systems that don't reside under 1024 cylinders
on most systems.  You may be able to install it, but you won't be able to
boot it.  In your case it may be better to buy a separate disk and
dedicate it entirely to FreeBSD.  I bought a 540mb disk and did just that
when I got started.

If you can resolve that, i've used a utility called 'Partition Resizer' to
shrink slices down.  You'll need to use it (I believe it's on the CDROM)
to shrink down the extended slice to that it is exactly the same size as
your NT logical drive.  That should free up the 'reserved' space into
unallocated space.  You should be able to install FreeBSD in that.