Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 10:37:43 -0800
From:      Michael Elkins <me@mutt.org>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, mutt-users@mutt.org
Subject:   Re: mail clients

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 04:51:46PM +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> I am trying to learn mutt alongside pine.  Are there any settings i should
> put in my .muttrc so i can be reasonably sure that both mailboxes will be
> compatible?  Is there a way to use my pine save folders with mutt as well?

By default both Mutt and PINE use the so-called "mbox" format, so either one
should be able to read mailboxes generated by the other.  No special options
needed.

> I recently ran mutt on a shell account and saw no messages.  Running pine
> showed 15, 1 new and 14 old.  I'm not quite sure what i did, but mutt
> seems very complex to configure.  I have several sample muttrc's, but
> obviously they still need to be customized.

Mutt has pretty reasonable defaults, so you are not _required_ to have a
config file.  It's just nice to change things to your personal liking.  PINE
is probably storing your spooled mail in a different location than Mutt
does.  If you can find the file, you can set the Mutt variable $mbox to
point to that file.

me
--=20
pgp key available from http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~me/elkins-pgp-key.asc