Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2013 08:58:28 -0700
From:      hiren panchasara <hiren.panchasara@gmail.com>
To:        Jim Harris <jim.harris@gmail.com>
Cc:        Davide Italiano <davide@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: hwpmc support for haswell

On Mar 22, 2013 10:48 PM, "Jim Harris" <jim.harris@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, March 22, 2013, hiren panchasara wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 6:26 PM, hiren panchasara
>> <hiren.panchasara@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Indeed. I've posted it here just to let larger audience know and avoid
>> > possible duplicate work.
>> >
>> > We will wait till we get the hardware to test with.
>>
>> I recently got a ref haswell box to play with.
>>
>> Initial dmesg looks like this:
>>
>> CPU: Genuine Intel(R) CPU 0000 @ 2.60GHz (2594.05-MHz K8-class CPU)
>>   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x306c2  Family = 0x6  Model = 0x3c
>> Stepping = 2

Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>

Features2=0x7ffafbff<SSE3,PCLMULQDQ,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,SMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,<b11>,FMA,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,PCID,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,x2APIC,MOVBE,POPCNT,TSCDLT,AESNI,XSAVE,OSXSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND>
>>   AMD Features=0x2c100800<SYSCALL,NX,Page1GB,RDTSCP,LM>
>>   AMD Features2=0x21<LAHF,ABM>
>>   Standard Extended
Features=0x2fbb<GSFSBASE,TSCADJ,SMEP,ENHMOVSB,INVPCID>
>>   TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics
>> real memory  = 8589934592 (8192 MB)
>> avail memory = 8034803712 (7662 MB)
>> Event timer "LAPIC" quality 600
>> ACPI APIC Table: <DELL   CBX3   >
>> FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 8 CPUs
>> FreeBSD/SMP: 1 package(s) x 4 core(s) x 2 SMT threads
>>  cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
>>  cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1
>>  cpu2 (AP): APIC ID:  2
>>  cpu3 (AP): APIC ID:  3
>>  cpu4 (AP): APIC ID:  4
>>  cpu5 (AP): APIC ID:  5
>>  cpu6 (AP): APIC ID:  6
>>  cpu7 (AP): APIC ID:  7
>>
>> Diffs at:
>> http://www.strugglingcoder.info/patches/hwpmc_hw.txt
>> Tests I've done:
>> http://www.strugglingcoder.info/patches/hwpmc_hw_pmccontrol.txt
>> http://www.strugglingcoder.info/patches/hwpmc_hw_pmctest.txt
>>
>> I am following 325462-045US Jan 2013 sw dev manual and below are the
counters
>> which I cannot poke at via pmcstat:
>>
>> Core:
>> "L2_RQSTS.DEMAND_DATA_RD_MISS"
>> "L2_RQSTS.DEMAND_DATA_RD_HIT"
>> "L2_RQSTS.ALL_DEMAND_DATA_RD"
>> "L2_RQSTS.ALL_DEMAND_MISS"
>> "L2_RQSTS.ALL_DEMAND_REFERENCES"
>> "L2_RQSTS.MISS"
>> "CYCLE_ACTIVITY.STALLS_L2_PENDING"
>> "PAGE_WALKER_LOADS.DTLB_L1"
>> "PAGE_WALKER_LOADS.ITLB_L1"
>> "BACLEARS.ANY"
>> "L2_LINES_OUT.DEMAND_CLEAN"
>>
>> Uncore:
>> "UNC_CBO_XSNP_RESPONSE.INVAL_M"
>> "UNC_CBO_CACHE_LOOKUP.ES"
>>
>> For all of them, I get error like this:
>>
>> # pmcstat -p L2_RQSTS.MISS ls
>> pmcstat: ERROR: Cannot allocate process-mode pmc with specification
>> "L2_RQSTS.MISS": Invalid argument
>>
>> Box does not panic or anything.
>>
>> I've tried to double check my changes without success.
>> Is it possible that the documentation has some inconsistencies?
>>

> It looks like IAF_F_FM is missing from most (all?) of the new event w/
umask entries you added that are specific to Haswell.  Can you try adding
these and see if it clears anything up?  A cursory look seemed to show most
of these failures are on event/umasks that are missing this flag.

Ah, good point. Let me try that and let you know.

Thanks,
Hiren.