Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 1999 09:40:15 -0800
From:      Steve Watt <steve@Watt.COM>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IRQ entropy causes panics?

On Fri, Jan 08, 1999 at 11:10:52AM -0600, Chris Dillon wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Mark Murray wrote:
>
> > Steve Watt wrote:
> > > [ serial irq running 800int/sec ]
> >
> > That could cause problems; I'll look into it.
> >
> > > What it sounds like is that I shouldn't use "high rate" (for some
> > > definition thereof -- more than the clock irqs?) things to feed
> > > the entropy pool.  That probably ought to be documented somewhere.
> >
> > I'll fix that too :-).

I think that it would be better to fix the underlying problem, if possible;
during a news expire with NFS archiving, the PCI irq can run as high as
300-400/s for most of an hour.  I suppose the safest things to hook
would be the keyboard irq (1) and the mouse (12 -- pms).  But if there
really is some kind of race condition in there, which is how it smells,
then for max stability none is the right answer.

> If I recall correctly, this _was_ documented before we moved from
> /etc/sysconfic to /etc/rc.conf (basically, becuse we went from
> "sections" with long descriptions for each option to single lines for
> each option).  It also specifically mentioned not to hook interrupts
> attached to serial ports or the clock, I think.

Interesting.  It still seems that it oughta be safe for j. random
(pun half-intended) sysadmin to hook whatever they like.  The timers
aren't good sources of entropy simply because of their periodicity.
The same really *isn't* true, even for high-bandwidth serial ports,
because there will always be the vagaries of network timing, non-busy
periods, etc.  Seems like a pretty good source, except that it makes
the box fall over.