Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 16:17:11 -0600
From:      Eric Patterson <eric@rdbewss.redstone.army.mil>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Problems running Netscape 4.5

Anyone,

I am not able to run netscape.  Here's a brief bit of background on the situation.

I am running 3.0-RELEASE and XFree86 Version 3.3.2.3.  The first time I tried to run Netscape, I got the following error:
ld.so failed libXt.so.6.0 not found.

I searched the mail list archives and found that others had had similar problems.  I saw that one guy recommended  the following as a fix:
# ldconfig -aout -m /usr/X11R6/lib/aout
Well that gave the error that /var/run/ld.so.hints wasn't found.  So, then I ran
# ldconfig -aout
This helped in that the command ldconfig -aout -r works.  Then I ran
# ldconfig -aout -m /usr/X11R6/lib
That completed successfully.  Then I ran
# ldconfig -aout -m /usr/X11R6/lib/aout
ldconfig: /usr/X11R6/lib/aout: No such file or directory

Sure enough, /usr/X11R6/lib/aout doesn't exist.  Hmm, well, a bunch has changed, let's try to run netscape again.
	# netscape
	ld.so failed: bad magic number in "/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6.0"

Well, being relatively new to this, I don't know what to do next.  Any help is appreciated, of course.

Eric Patterson