Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 1995 08:43:41 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        andy@anigma.win.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation problem

As Mr. Andrew Micheals wrote:

>             Recently purchased the FreeBSD ver 2.0 and have
> experienced an installation problem in that upon doing the
> installation, rebooting then pointing on the boot manager, I get an
> error message, saying (error loading operating system).

>   1.   Boot?=No  Type=Primary 'big'DOS (>32MB)
>        Phys=(c0/h2/s18..c575/h106/s22) Sector=(63..1510109)
>        Size=737 MB, 575 Cylinders + 104 tracts =5 Sectors
>
>   2.   Boot?=Yes Type=FreeBSD/Net/386BSD
>        Phys=9c575/h106/s23..c1023/h113/s19)Sectors
> (1510110..4216171)
>        Size=1321 MB, 1032 Cylinders + 6 tracts +20 Sectors

The error points to an inconsistency between the ideas of BIOS/DOS and
FreeBSD about the disk geometry.  The numbers above look somewhat
suspicious (113 heads?), too.

What is the geometry (number of cylinders, heads (aka traks) /
cylinder, sectors / track) your BIOS is assuming?  At the very least,
you should be able to get this information either from the BIOS
setup screen, or by some ``disc doctor'' tool under DOS.

Make sure you are using exactly the same geometry when installing
FreeBSD (even in case where the FreeBSD installation program might
suggesting you something else).

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/