Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 21:36:55 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>
To:        Haikal Saadh <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org, mckay@thehub.com.au
Subject:   Re: Broadband downunder

On Wednesday, 14th February 2001, Haikal Saadh wrote:

>Anyone got recommendations for a high bandwidth
>internet provider in Brisbane?

I also want the answer to this one.

>I'm finally moving into
>a house with enough people to be able to afford
>cable/ADSL. Anyone already using these services?

A friend of mine has been without an operational telephone for about
10 days now because he ordered Telstra ADSL and Telstra bollocksed the
job.

>And most importantly, who gives FreeBSD friendly hardware/service?

Ha!  Ha!  (Wipes tears from eyes.)

Nobody who sells cable or ADSL in Australia officially supports non-M$
operating systems.  As far as I know they even shaft the Mac users.

The usual deal is to pretend to be an avid Windoze user while the
technician is there, then plug the network into your unix cluster
when they've left.  The exact details on how to connect from FreeBSD
or Linux vary, and I don't currently know any details.

Stephen.