Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 1998 12:37:47 -0500
From:      Travis Mikalson <bofh@terranova.net>
To:        Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@chassiron.ensta.fr>
Cc:        port-i386@netbsd.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD k6 and > 32Mb RAM

Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> Hi,
> Does anybody know if a K6 can run with 64Mb (or more) of RAM ? I've heard that
> there was a silicon bug in the earlier K6 that would make it not manage
> properly the RAM, but I don't know if it has been fixed.
>
> Thanks ...

I'm currently running a K6/233 w/ 128 megs of EDO in my proxy server.

It's been working great so far under the light load; 20 day uptime at
the moment. (Running FreeBSD)

I got the chip a few months ago, I believe it was manufactured some time
in 5/97

Perhaps you're thinking of the Intel 430FX, VX and TX chipsets which
have a limitation in which the L2 cache is disabled when more than 64
megs of RAM is used?

Just get a very big heatsink and fan for it and keep it ventilated and
it should be fine. (heat grease is a good idea, too)

-T
--
TerraNovaNet Internet Services - Key Largo, FL
Voice: (305)453-4011        Fax: (305)451-5991