Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2000 23:13:00 +0100
From:      gouders@et.bocholt.fh-gelsenkirchen.de
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Entry in FAQ's section "Systemadministration"

Hello,

today I read an entry in the FAQ's section "Systemadministration"
(actually I translated it into German) and have some strange feeling
about if this entry would satisfy a questioner.
I have to confess that I do not know details (i.e. anything) about
sound devices and that is the reason, why (after reading the answer) I
still have the feeling that I don't know how to create /dev/snd0:

Q: I can't create the snd0 device!

A: The command to create the devices for the sound card is:

     # cd /dev
     # sh MAKEDEV snd0

However, this does not make a device named /dev/snd0. Instead, it creates
devices named mixer0, audio0, dsp0, and others. Running the command is
still necessary to add sound devices, however.