Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2013 08:32:08 GMT
From:      Giacomo Strangolino <delleceste@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   amd64/175725: Audio through USB has not as good hi quality as it has in linux

>Number:         175725
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       Audio through USB has not as good hi quality as it has in linux
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Hi. I've got an USB D/A converter attached to a SCYTHE SDA-1100 power amplifier connected to a couple of bookshelf Cambridge Audio loudspeakers.

I don't know whether I am writing in the right place, anyway, I noticed a difference in the quality of the audio reproduced with the same components on the same computer after switching to linux, which provides better quality both in frequency response and, generally, in the dynamics and the scene reproduced.

On freebsd I used to play with amarok + gstreamer, amarok + vlc backends, VLC player and mplayer.

Another noticeable difference consists in the output level of the signal: in linux it is much higher, thus allowing to listen to the same volume attenuating much more the amplifier volume control.

Could this be a problem of the uaudio driver?
Could it be more generally a problem of the pcm module?

Any hint is appreciated.

Love FreeBSD.

Best regards,

Giacomo Strangolino, Italy.