Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 2003 01:25:19 +0900
From:      Hidetoshi Shimokawa <simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To:        Andrea Campi <andrea@webcom.it>
Cc:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: firewire hangs on Thinkpad

At Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:49:51 +0100,
Andrea Campi wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 11:55:01AM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> > This sounds like it might be an interrupt storm.  I'm not sure if the
> > fwohci driver is failing to clear an interrupt source, or if the
> > cardbus bridge is failing.  Have you connected a fw device to the
> > firewire card?
>
> I've been able to run a few more tests, even though I've not done abused
> it in every way I have in my mind yet...
>
> The evidence I currently have is:
>  - if I load the modules at loader time everything is fine, with or without
> a device attached
>  - if I load the modules later on, the kldload doesn't return and the system
> stops responding; I can still enter DDB. The only way to recover from that is
> to eject the card; at that point, the system is usable BUT as soon as there
> is network activity, the system freezes hard (can't get to DDB).
>
> IMHO this is 100% an interrupt problem. Does this ring a bell with one of you,
> or should I provide more info?

I have another strange firewire and cardbus/pccard interaction.
If I load firewire module while I'm using wi0 in cardbus slot,
the wi0 stop its work and output following messages.
(In my laptop, fwohci is on PCI.)

wi0: xmit failed
wi0: timeout in wi_cmd 0x010b; event status 0x0000

Even if I replace fwochi_pci_attach() with one line 'return EIO'
(i.e. the doesn't anything), the problem still happens.

I think this is not a problem of fwohci.
Maybe PCI or Cardbus/PCcard or kldload problem?

/\ Hidetoshi Shimokawa
\/  simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
PGP public key: http://www.sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~simokawa/pgp.html