Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 10:58:07 +0100
From:      "Thomas E. Zander" <riggs@hadiko.de>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mplayer problem

Hi,

On Sat, 16. Feb 2002, at 23:25 -0800, Farooq Mela wrote
according to [Re: Mplayer problem]:

> Did you set up MPlayer to make use of any of your CPU's MMX, MMX2, and
> SSE features?  I believe the file is called config.mak in the mplayer
> build directory, edit that before running make so it can use those CPU
> instructions.

I patched the mplayer configure file to always use the cpuinfo prog of
the TOOLS directory of the mplayer tarball.
I think this should recognize the P4, too.
Perhaps it would be a good idea to make a

make configure

in the mplayer ports dir, then go to the work dir and execute this
TOOLS/cpuinfo.
Then you will see a line of the instruction set your CPU can do. This
line is the base for mplayer's build stage.

Of course you should include the CPU_ENABLE_SSE option in your kernel
config if you want mplayer to use ist.
On the other hand, you can build mplayer without SSE:

make -DWITHOUT_SSE

does it.
I can't reproduce those SSE related problems, because I have no such
box here at the moment. Please tell me if you got further problems.

Regards,
Riggs

--
- "[...] I talked to the computer at great length and
-- explained my view of the Universe to it" said Marvin.