Date:      Sun, 9 Jan 2000 00:19:06 +0100
From:      Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@free.fr>
To:        van.woerkom@netcologne.de
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, se@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Win32 Netscape and Real Audio Player run under Wine on -CURRENT

On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 01:42:59AM +0100, Marc van Woerkom wrote:

>See subject. This came unexpected.
>
>    http://www.freebsd.org/~3d/screenshots/chameleon.jpg
>    http://www.freebsd.org/~3d/screenshots/chameleon2.jpg
>

>Heck, it looks and sounds better even than the Linux version!

!!! I'm very impressed.

	1) I thought the wine project has been died for a long time
	2) I never thought this would ever succeed

	3) You guys of the -multimedia list and other human interface
	   hackers are doing very good things for the FreeBSD community
	   We can thank you for most of FreeBSD youthfulness

But,

Linux is very attractive to common people with all these projects:
StarOffice, Wine and many things that make it Windows-like with the
unix power and stability.

What makes FreeBSD attractive to such people today?
Not the server/rock-stable/clean-devel/... arguments. Isn't it?

And neither what some of you make really heavy and good work for:

	'MAINTAIN ON FREEBSD WHAT RUNS ON LINUX'

Of course, the challenge is neither the widest distribution nor being
every body's OS. And I'm enough proud of working with an alternative
OS ;) One of the best ones moreover.

Then,

What would make really sense in choosing FreeBSD versus other OSes?
Nothing I think for people we do not want necesseraly as FreeBSD users.

So,

All what you're doing is mostly for us! FreeBSD lovers.

Thanks again, but this is certainly not the opinion of everybody here.

Nicholas

--
nsouch@free.fr / nsouch@freebsd.org
FreeBSD - Turning PCs into workstations - http://www.FreeBSD.org