Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2000 19:32:41 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange things in 4.1 since last night's update?

Gabriel Ambuehl writes:
> Hello O.,
>
> Saturday, September 16, 2000, 6:55:40 PM, you wrote:
> > The last update and complete run of makeworld was about three days ago.
> > Usually, a compilation of the whole system takes about 1:37 h on our FBSD box,
> > Dual PII 350MHz, 512 MB RAM, SCSI/LVD controller an vinum. On another box,
> > a AMD K6-2 550 MHz, 256 MB RAM, this process takes about 1:55 h.
>

> Huu. Got several K6-2 450/500/550 here (though with only 128mb RAM,
> normal IDE drives) and all of them need way over that time. More
> like the times you experienced lately, perhaps even a bit more...

New PIII-500, 128MB, 15G IBM UDMA100 on a UDMA33 interface did "time
make buildworld" in just over an hour on Friday. But what blew my mind
was when bonnie reported over 20MB/sec thruput in most modes using a
test file twice the RAM size.

> Side note: Am I right that OpenSSH is in the src tree and
> therefore should get installed when I do a make installworld? A newly
> installed box doesn't appear to have it installed even after several
> make world runs (mainly for stresstesting purposes).
> The box is running 4.1 Stable as of today.

You have to follow up with mergemaster. And even then you need
"sshd_enable=YES" in /etc/rc.conf.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net