Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 06:47:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Mike O'Dell" <mo@servo.ccr.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   coarse vs fine-grained locking in SMP systems

very fine-grain-locked systems often display convoying and
are prone to priority inversion problems.  coarse-grained
systems exhibit all the granularity problems already described.
(the first purdue dual-vax system plowed most of that ground)

we published the best Unix SMP paper I've ever seen in Computing
Systems - from the Amdahl guys who did an SMP version of the kernel
by very clever hacks on SPLx() macros to make them spin locks and
a bit of other clever trickery on the source.  they could take a stock
kernel and SMP everything but the device drivers essentially with
a SED script.

most interesting, they benchmarked it against their laboriously
reworked fine-grained kernel and under heavy multiprogramming loads
it performed better than the fine-grain kernel and essentially
never did materially worse.  and with *many* fewer man-years
of hacking.

it might be worth digging out that paper for a looky.  sorry i
don't have the citation off the top of my head, but i think the
Usenix online index would have it.

	-mo