Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 01:39:50 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@unix.tfs.net>
To:        tech@scsr.com (Tech1)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Detailed info on Fail-safe cluster for Freebsd/unixes

i was asking for details.  you gave a minimal management overview.
i'm not going to spend $350 unless i know how it operates.

please give details if you are going to give details.  do you have a
paper on this high-availability system that would give details?  if so
please post it.

what commercial systems are you familiar with?  i was asking
generically for a comparison to commercial systems as only one of my
questions.

what is involved in package configuration?  i also find it hard to
believe that if a service fails, that the lv's can be dismounted and
remounted on the failover machine in a thousandth of a sec.

i assume that this requires dual paths to the drives?

and to add new questions:

what mirroring techniques do you use?

also please answer my original questions.  i am interested, if it is
something usable.  merely saying it can fail over says nothing.

In reply:
> The down time will actually be between 0.001 sec to 1 sec. How's sun fail
> safe features like? May be i can add more things to it.
>
> ----------
> > From: Jim Bryant <jbryant@unix.tfs.net>
> > To: Tech1 <tech@scsr.com>
> > Cc: freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
> > Subject: Re: Detailed info on Fail-safe cluster for Freebsd/unixes
> > Date: Thursday, November 12, 1998 9:30 PM
> >
> > In reply:
> > > 	2) If the primary server is detected down, the auxiliary will take
> over
> > > all off TCP/IP
> > > 	    communications/services for the primary while doing its own
> regular
> > > activity assigned.
> > > 	    Example:When prime server down, when ftp to the downed server will
> end
> > > you up in the aux 	    	      server.
> >
> > okie dokie.
> >
> > i assume that the same MAC's and IP's will be used on the failover
> machine?
> >
> > > 	4) Highly portable to all other mordern unixes like sun,hp,dec,ibm,
> > > unixware, sco etc.
> >
> > well...  i won't give up Sun-HA, MC/ServiceGuard, etc.. yet.
> >
> > > 	5) the down time is reduced virtually to 0, instead of hours/days.
> >
> > be very careful what you say here.  since you are charging a price, i
> > assume you will be held liable for extended downtime.
> >
> > > [snip]
> >
> > how are locks handled?  what about proc sync?  what about rollback?
> >
> > is there anything more that could actually be useful?
> >
> > how does your product compare to other commercial HA products?  in
> > both features and operation?
> >
> > what lvm do you use?

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or