Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 14:32:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      djv@bedford.net
To:        sno@teardrop.org (James Snow)
Cc:        djv@bedford.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Weird /home problem

James Snow wrote

> On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, CyberPeasant wrote:
>

> > Assumptions:  /home                     755 root.wheel
> >               /home/lepers              750 root.lepers
> >               /home/lepers/djv          700 djv.lepers
> >

> It actually looks like that. There is a group for the entire subdirectory,
> and every user who is in it has that as their primary GID.
>
> The exact error on login is, "No home directory, loggin in with '/'."

I have the feeling that the login database may be unsynchronized,
-- reason: you've been busy there, possibly not using vipw, etc etc.
That /etc/passwd, /etc/master.passwd, /etc/spwd.db and /etc/pwd.db are
not in agreement is my hypothesis.

Use vipw to edit master.passwd, make some inconsequential change,
(delete some character and restore it), and exit vipw. I think
that you may have changed home directories in /etc/passwd, not
using vipw. Verify that the homedirs are correctly set when viewed
with vipw.

The error message you're getting is consistent with logging
in to a non-existent directory.

Before doing anything, try using 'finger someuser' to see what home
directory finger reports. Manually compare /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd.

Note that /etc/passwd is a _constructed_ file -- it is the sanitized
result of using vipw on /etc/master.passwd  pwd.db and spwd.db are
also _constructed_.

After all that hot air, I sure hope that's the problem.

> Given the above permissions, (the user has read/execute access all the way
> down to their home, world at home, group at lepers, and ownership at djv )
> should this still be happening?

No, login should occur without error. Therefor I'm betting that
the password database is screwy.

> Does login not check for that group ID at initial login? If that is the
> case, why does running /usr/bin/login work when run by hand after the
> initial botched login?

I cannot account for that. I can't duplicate your problem, even with
these new ownerships and permissions.

Hmm, you're not running NIS, are you?

Dave
--
"Today, machines sit on our desks and spend the overwhelming majority
of their cycles doing nothing more important than blinking a cursor."