Date:      Sun, 28 Aug 2011 15:18:48 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Amitabh Kant <amitabhkant@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Scritping sysinstall and custom iso

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 17:20:34 +0530, Amitabh Kant wrote:
> All the commands run fine and I am able to generate an iso. Now, couple of
> questions that have confused me:
> a) Where do I place install.cfg file for sysinstall to read without any user
> intervention? In the root directory of the disc1 layout or inside
> 8.2-Release / other sub directory?

According to /usr/src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/install.cfg's location
from which one would conclude that the sysinstall would be in
/usr/sbin of the CD (as well as installed on the disk), I would
assume install.cfg to be in the same directory as the sysinstall
program itself - /usr/sbin. But it could also be /stand...

> b) Is there a place where I can get a sample install.cfg with all the
> options explained? All I could find were different examples tailored to
> specific situations, most of them towards PXE boot.

The file /usr/src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/install.cfg does contain
some comments for explaination. Also see "man 8 sysinstall" for
the "SCRIPT SYNTAX" section.

> c) Is it necessary to define every step in install.cfg? I would like to keep
> disk partition / label and network configuration dialogs available (root
> password if necessary), while setting values for all other user dialogs and
> screens.

I don't think it is neccessary (as assumed by the "incomplete"
install.cfg mentioned above), but consult the documentation to
be sure.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany