Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 17:00:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
Cc:        Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>, Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about the mascot

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Gary Kline wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 10, 1999 at 01:58:53PM -0400, Dutch Collins wrote:
> > Mitch Collinsworth wrote:
> > >
> > > Traditional as it may be, I feel the "cute little devil" was an
> > > unfortunate mascot choice and I support the idea of producing some
> > > promotional materials without his image on them.  Meanwhile, like Doug
> > > I am not displaying the current ones.
> > >
> > > -Mitch
> >
> > argh. Does the Bell Curve invert when the population reaches a certain
> > point.
>

> 		That, or something similar!

	If it makes you feel better you can go ahead and belittle people
who are put off by it. Knock yourself out. But the fact is, the
demon/daemon mascot puts some people off. From a marketing standpoint a
logo that makes X% of your target market uncomfortable (where X is
actually, most everyone who doesn't already know what *bsd is) is bad for
business. It doestn't matter WHY it's bad for business, or how morally
superior you feel because you are above those considerations, it IS bad
for business.

	All that being said, I realize fully that no one on this list
cares. FreeBSD is a hobby OS, by and for the developers. That's been
stated many times on the list recently. However, there is someone who's
trying to make some $$ of FreeBSD, namely walnut creek, so I occasionaly
point out that there are some people in the "freebsd community" who would
like to have some promotional material that doesn't have "little devils"
on it. Maybe someday they will listen, maybe not. But it makes ME feel
better to say it.

Doug
--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter