Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 21:50:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Panic in FFS/4.0 as of yesterday - update

On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> As of the last set of fixes that added some more splbio protection, the
> testing has gone a lot better. Many thanks. Now I'll start raising the bar
> from 9GB filesystems to > 100GB filesystems with larger blocksizes (unless
> someone says "No! No! Don't do that!")

Its good that your panic seems to have been addressed but I can't see any
quick solutions for the responsiveness problem.  It appears to be a
combination of the way that BSD looks up pathnames and the lack of any
mechanism from stopping writer processes from monopolising the i/o queues.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com