Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 2003 13:03:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem upgrading 4.5R -> current

I installed 4.5R from CD on a test computer with ahc and a Maxtor SCSI
drive.  I used it for a few minutes and then cvsupped yesterday's current.
Buildworld and buildkernel GENERIC succeeded.  I then did installkernel
and the bootblocks install step and created a device.hints from
GENERIC.hints.  Problems:

* UPDATING says to cd to src/sys/boot and do "make install".  This gave an
error "lib.a not found".  "make all; make install" succeeded.  Looks like
the install target doesn't have the proper dependencies.

* Upon trying to reboot single user to do the mergemaster -p step, the
boot blocks hang starting the 2nd stage (loading /boot/loader).  If I hit
SPACE quickly, I can get to the first stage boot loader.  But loading
/boot/loader starts the spinning | and then hangs.

I rebooted and booted from the 4.5R CD.  I stopped loader at the "10
seconds" prompt and then unloaded and loaded /boot/kernel/kernel
successfully.  But trying to boot it also hung at the spinning
|.  Finally, I loaded /kernel and was able to boot back to 4.x.  What
could be going on with new loader?

-Nate