Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 11:58:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Whalen <bri@sonicboom.org>
To:        Wijnand Wiersma <w.wiersma@4business.nl>
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Slivko" <jslivko@4evermail.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: some X questions

From the handbook..

5.6.2 Using XDM
The XDM daemon program is located in /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm. This program can
be run at any time as root and it will start managing the X display on the
local machine. If XDM is to be run every time the machine boots up, a
convenient way to do this is by adding an entry to /etc/ttys. For more
information about the format and usage of this file, see Section 15.3.2.1.
There is a line in the default /etc/ttys file for running the XDM daemon
on a virtual terminal:

    ttyv8  "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure

By default this entry is disabled, and in order to enable it change field
5 from off to on and then restart init(8) using the directions in Section
15.3.2.2. The first field, the name of the terminal this program will
manage, is ttyv8. This means that XDM will start running on the 9th
virtual terminal.

Brian "Sonic" Whalen
Success = Preparation + Opportunity