Date:      Thu, 04 Jun 1998 17:55:18 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.99999?

I've got a quandary on my hands. I need to deploy a new UNIX server, and
would like to run FreeBSD on it. I could run 2.2.6 (with patches -- unless
a 2.2.7 is imminent) on it, or risk going to 3.0-current. 2.2.6 is
fabulously stable, but -current has so many appealing features that are not
being migrated back to 2.2.x (for instance, CAM, DOS VMs, long user names,
64-bit dates, etc.) that I'd be sacrificing a lot if I installed 2.2.6. And
installing a snapshot (as I've done in the past) can be risky and messy.
(Sticking with a relatively stable snap and using CVSup each have benefits
and liabilities.)

How far is 3.0 away from prime time? What is the official criterion for
deciding when it's ready to do a release? Now that it has so many things
that 2.2.6 doesn't, is it time for a 2.9999 release based on the -current
source tree to wring out the remaining bugs?

--Brett Glass