Date:      Sun, 23 Aug 2015 14:08:56 +0300
From:      Daniel Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
To:        Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
Cc:        pyunyh@gmail.com, Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org>, FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, Christopher Forgeron <csforgeron@gmail.com>, Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>, Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw@zxy.spb.ru>
Subject:   Re: ix(intel) vs mlxen(mellanox) 10Gb performance
References:  <1D52028A-B39F-4F9B-BD38-CB1D73BF5D56@cs.huji.ac.il> <55D429A4.3010407@selasky.org> <20150819074212.GB964@michelle.fasterthan.com> <55D43615.1030401@selasky.org> <2013503980.25726607.1439989235806.JavaMail.zimbra@uoguelph.ca> <20150820023024.GB996@michelle.fasterthan.com> <1153838447.28656490.1440193567940.JavaMail.zimbra@uoguelph.ca> <15D19823-08F7-4E55-BBD0-CE230F67D26E@cs.huji.ac.il> <818666007.28930310.1440244756872.JavaMail.zimbra@uoguelph.ca>

> On 22 Aug 2015, at 14:59, Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca> wrote:
>=20
> Daniel Braniss wrote:
>>=20
>>> On Aug 22, 2015, at 12:46 AM, Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca> =
wrote:
>>>=20
if_hw_tsomaxsegcount
TCP
if_hw_tsomaxsegcount
1;
if_hw_tsomaxsegcount
>>> Thanks for this comment. I tend to agree, both for the reason you =
state and
>>> also
>>> because the patch is simple enough that it might qualify as an =
errata for
>>> 10.2.
>>>=20
>>> I am hoping Daniel Braniss will be able to test the patch and let us =
know
>>> if it
>>> improves performance with TSO enabled?
>>=20
>> send me the patch and I=E2=80=99ll test it ASAP.
>> 	danny
>>=20
> Patch is attached. The one for head will also include an update to the =
comment
> in sys/net/if_var.h, but that isn't needed for testing.

well, the plot thickens.

Yesterday, before running the new kernel, I decided to re run my test, =
and to my surprise
i was getting good numbers, about 300MGB/s with and without TSO.

this morning, the numbers were again bad, around 70MGB/s,what the ^%$#@!

so, after some coffee, I run some more tests, and some conclusions:
using a netapp(*) as the nfs client:
  - doing=20
	ifconfig ix0 tso or -tso
    does some magic and numbers are back to normal - for a while

using another Fbsd/zfs as client all is nifty, actually a bit faster =
than the netapp (not a fair
comparison, since the zfs client is not heavily used) and I can=E2=80=99t =
see any degradation.
=20
btw, this is with the patch applied, but was seeing similar numbers =
before the patch.

running with tso, initially I get around 300MGB/s, but after a =
while(sorry can=E2=80=99t be more scientific)
it drops down to about half,  and finally to a pathetic 70MGB/s

*: while running the tests I monitored the Netapp, and nothing out of =
the ordinary there.

cheers,
	danny