Date:      Wed, 2 Feb 2000 14:41:26 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
Cc:        James Clifford <james@base2.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD = Unix ???

On Tuesday,  1 February 2000 at 19:40:38 -0800, Dan O'Connor wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 01, 2000 4:33 PM, James Clifford <james@base2.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Alejandro Ramirez wrote:
>>>
>>>     Unix its a trademark, and the owner righ now I think its Santa
>>> Cruz Operation, and all the systems that wants to be called unix,
>>> have to pay for the use of the name.
>>
>> *BSD can actually trace its roots back to AT&T. It's
>> not a Unix workalike but is actually a Unix...
>

> To play Devil's Advocate here: Since 4.4BSD-Lite (and derivatives
> like FreeBSD) has *no* AT&T code left in it, isn't it technically a
> *work-alike clone* and not *real* Unix/unix/UNIX?
>
> If Microsoft gave you the source code to Windows and you re-wrote it
> so that it no longer had any MS code in it, is it still Windows?

I think this is all a matter of definition.  But there's an easier
way: it's try that there's no AT&T code in BSD, but it's definitely
not true that there's no BSD code in UNIX System V.4.  Without BSD
code, System V would only be a partial operating system.  Look at
System V.3 for an example: no fast file system, no networking, no
logging, no symlinks, no job control...

Greg