Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 23:57:06 +0000
From:      aydun <aydun@ntlworld.com>
To:        John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need help with Sound Card

John Bleichert wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, aydun wrote:
>
>>Subject: Need help with Sound Card
>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I've got a Rockwell WaveArtist card (RWA010, R6711-31) but I can't
>>configure FreeBSD 4.7 to see it correctly.  Bios sees it ok at 0x220 &
>>it works under Windows (IRQ 5)
>>
>>It's supposed to be ISA PnP and Sound Blaster Pro compatible.
>>
>>I've tried various combinations of 'device pcm', 'device sb'; 'device
>>sbc', 'device snd' but it when it boots the best it gets is:
>>
>>sb_reset_dsp failed
>>unknown: <WaveArtist> can't assign resources
>>

> <snip>
>
> "can't assign resources" could be due to your BIOS settings - try
> disabling "PnP OpSys Installed" and then bring up your system. If you
> disable PnP support in your BIOS, you *may* be able to get around this.
>
> Good luck!
>
> JB

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately its an old Compaq Deskpro with
the windows-style interface to its bios which give precious few settings
to play with!  I haven't found anything that would match the one you
mentioned.

A boot -v shows:
isa_probe_children: probing PnP devices
unknown: <WaveArtist> failed to probe at port 0x250-0x25f drq 5 on isa0
unknown: <WaveArtist> failed to probe at port 0x220-0x22f,0x388-0x38b
irq 5 drq 1 on isa0
unknown: <WaveArtist> failed to probe at port 0x330-0x333 on isa0

Not clear to me why the probe would fail, or how to work round it!

thanks
aydun