Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:14:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andy Pintar <hapoteh@toronto.yossman.net>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what soundcard should i buy?

Looks to me like the soundblaster audigy ls card does work:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2003-November/003970.html

As for something that works 100%, I found the SoundBlaster Live work well
- anything with the EMU10K1 chipset should work.  For true, 100%
compatibility, you'll have to use either windows (sadly), or do some
hacking of your own, in most cases.  I joined this list to glean some
knowledge so I could patch the driver for my onboard sound, which has
levels that are too low currently.

Keep in mind that FreeBSD is an experience more than simply an OS.  The
time spent getting your Audigy LS to work properly (which I'm sure it
will) will be repaid a thousand fold in terms of increased knowledge and
experience.  I recall installing 4.2 and trying to get a SoundBlaster
8-bit original card working... what a nightmare!  But looking back, it was
worth every frustrating moment.

Finally, please include more information explaining why something isn't
working in future mailings (so that we can be more helpful).

Ciao;
Andy.