Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 1999 01:32:25 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        Binh@asu.edu (Binh Nguyen)
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hosts.allow and deny!

On 2 Feb 1999 18:03:57 -0500, in sentex.lists.freebsd.misc you wrote:

>Hi!
>
>	I want to ask a question.  Is there a way on Freebsd2.2.8 that I could
>implement the hosts.allow and hosts.deny, so no one could access my server
>without being addin the hosts.allow.
>	Also, is there a good admin tool for system security such ask monitors
>the system, or any tools that help on how to do hosts.allow and hosts.deny.
>	Thanks

There are a few tools like this in the /usr/ports/security tree. What you
are after is tcpwrappers.
cd /usr/ports/security/tcp_wrapper
make install

Then edit /etc/inetd.conf

and change the telnet line to be
telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/tcpd telnetd

Then in /usr/local/etc/hosts.deny
ALL:ALL
In /usr/local/etc/hosts.allow
goodhost.com

If you add to /etc/syslog.conf
auth* and authpriv.*, you will see it logged to syslog.

You should also look into ipfw as well.

	---Mike

Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,