Date:      Wed, 28 May 2014 07:52:25 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
To:        markham breitbach <markhamb@corp.ssimicro.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 8 support

Hi,

On Tue, 27 May 2014 10:41:43 -0600
markham breitbach <markhamb@corp.ssimicro.com> wrote:

> I operate a distributed cluster of FreeBSD servers running on version
> 8.  We have a significant amount of custom in-house software and an
> array of rather uniquely configured OSS installed from packages /
> ports / or built from source as required.   All that to say, upgrading
> represents a significant amount of work, not to mention regression
> testing of some fairly complex systems.
>
> It looks like FreeBSD 8.4 has "extended" support expected to last
> until June 30, 2015.  Can anyone tell me if that is expected to be
> the EOL for FreeBSD 8 or is an 8.5 release expected to follow?

did you try 10? You might even can wait for 11 and test if your
applications run with the compatibility ports installed.

Most important is that 8.4 will not die the moment support is stopped
You have currently ample of time to move to 10 or even 11.

Where is the configuration for the ports gone? You should still have it
in the ports tree used for compiling them. I would take the existing
configuration and check if this configuration still works with the
current version of the ports.

Erich