Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 12:26:51 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        "FreeBSD Stable List" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Error during "make buildworld"

Hi all,

I have tried "make buildworld" three times, following cvsup from the stable
branch on 15/Nov, then 16/Nov, and again today 19/Nov.  Each time it has
failed with messages as below.

I have checked my cvsup logs, and I do not see any changes to the code in
"perl5/util.c" recently.

<snip>----------------------------------------
cc -O -pipe  -I/usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/libperl -I/usr/src/gnu/usr.
bin/perl/libperl/../../../../contrib/perl5  -c
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/libperl/../../../../contrib/perl5/util.c -o util.o
{standard input}: cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal
4
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/libperl.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl/libperl.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/perl.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
root# Assembler messages:
{standard input}:0: Warning: end of file not at end of a line; newline
inserted
</snip>---------------------------------------

Admittedly - I am a bit clueless on C, so these errors don't make much sense
to me :)

I have seen comments on this list that the last error above might indicate
corruption introduced during cvsup.  I have tried looking at util.c using
'vi', and it looks OK (to my uneducated eye!).  And, the fact that it has
happened three times after three separate cvsup runs, seems to rule out
cvsup corruption !?!

Any ideas folks?  I am in MCSE mode here :)

Meanwhile, I'm going to flush /usr/obj (again) while I await a response...
(this box is a little slow so it needs time).

Regards,
Patrick O'Reilly. [MCSE]